Saturday, February 10, 2007

Spurs Say 'Bye' to Feyenoord in UEFA Cup

Spurs became the first team to reach the Quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup when the 'bye' was confirmed by the Court of Arbitration who rejected Feyenoord's appeal.

The tie has been in doubt since the ban imposed on Feyenoord for the misbeheavour of their fans in an earlier round of the competition. Spurs progress was confirmed yesterday when the Dutch club lost their appeal. Spurs next opponents will be the winners of the tie between Parma (Italy) and Braga (Portugal).

There are problems surrounding this tie because of the difficulties in Italian football which was suspended last weekend when a policeman was killed by rioting fans. Now only grounds which have been passed as safe for play can be used and currently the Parma ground has not been included in the grounds that are fit for the resumption of play.

Spurs fans, while pleased to have qualified for the next round of the competition are disappointed that they have been denied the opportunity to renew acquaintances with the Dutch side which they have met on a number of previous European competitions.

Previous European meetings between Spurs and Feyenoord:

1961-62 European Cup (1st R) 1st Leg (a) Won 3-1, 2nd leg (h) Draw 1-1

1973 -74 UEFA Cup Final 1st Leg (h) Draw 2-2, 2nd Leg (a) Lost 0-2

1983 - 84 UEFA Cup (2nd R) 1st Leg (h) Won 4-2, 2nd Leg Won 2-0

1991 - 92 European Cup Winners' Cup (Q/F) 1st Leg (a) Lost 0-1, 2nd Leg (h) Draw 0-0

Spurs record against Feyenoord:

P 8 W 3 D 3 L 2 For 12 Ag 9

The most disappointing result was the UEFA Cup Final defeat in 1973 - 74. Spurs had been held at home in the first game but the 2nd Leg was ruined when Spurs fans rioted during the game and Bill Nicholson had to make an appeal for calm and restraint during the half-time interval.

1974: Spurs 2 Feyenoord 2 UEFA CUP FINAL (1st Leg)

Spurs had reached their third European Final, the first English club to achieve this, and were undefeated through the early rounds. In a thrilling game, Spurs led twice but were pulled back by the soon to be crowned Dutch champions. Spurs started well and it was twenty minutes before Jennings touched the ball, from a back pass. They took the lead in the 39th minute, Mike England scoring with a header from a Ray Evans’ free-kick. However, they held the lead for only four minutes, a free-kick being bent round their defensive wall. Spurs regained the lead after an hour from another free-kick with England involved but a Dutch defender got the final touch. With nine minutes remaining, Phil Beal went off injured and three minutes later Feyenoord equalised to give them the upper hand going into the second leg.

Team: Jennings; Evans, Naylor; Pratt, England, Beal (Dillon); McGrath, Perryman, Chivers, Peters (Captain), Coates.

Feyenoord 2 Spurs 0 UEFA CUP FINAL (2nd Leg)

For the 2nd Leg in Rotterdam a week later, Spurs knew that they were facing a very difficult and daunting task as they were going into it on level terms from the 1st Leg. The task became even more difficult as fans rioted before, during and after the game.

Feyenoord went ahead in the first half and during half-time when Bill Nicholson should have been trying to focus the team on the task on hand, he was having to appeal to the fans for calm. In the second half, Feyenoord continued to be in control and scored a second to end Spurs record of never having lost a major Cup Final.

The behaviour of the rioting fans brought discredit on the Club, the team and those who went to loyally support the players as they tried to win another European trophy. Bill Nicholson was disappointed and disillusioned and his resignation a few weeks into the new season could be linked to the events in Holland, bringing to an end his long association with Tottenham Hotspur.

Team: Jennings; Evans, Naylor; Pratt (Holder), England, Beal; McGrath, Perryman, Chivers, Peters (Captain), Coates.

Happier memories surround the contests between the two clubs in the UEFA Cup 2nd round tie in 1983-84. Keith Burkinshaw's team were looking to add the European trophy to the impressive list of silverware acquired in the previous three seasons.

October, 1983: Spurs 4 Feyenoord 2 UEFA Cup 2nd Round (1st Leg)

The game matched Glenn Hoddle against an ageing Johan Cryff in a head to head contest. It was the younger star who was to stamp his class on the match as Cryff failed to live with Hoddle’s creativity and control.

Spurs were four ahead by half-time and Glenn Hoddle had played a part in all of the goals. He controlled the game and Spurs were supreme, going ahead after eight minutes through Steve Archibald. Ten minutes later a Hoddle cross was headed in by Tony Galvin. Archibald scored his second five minutes later with Galvin getting his second five minutes before half-time from a forty yard Hoddle pass. In the second half Feyenoord came more into the game to score twice but Hoddle had displayed his master class and Spurs were almost assured of qualification to the next round.

November, 1983: Feyenoord 0 Spurs 2 UEFA Cup 2nd Round (2nd Leg)

With two goals in hand in the 2nd leg, Spurs assured themselves of qualification for the next round when they gave an impressive display and scored through Chris Hughton after 25 minutes and then confirmed victory with a late goal from Tony Galvin. spurs aggregaste victory being an impressive 6-2 score line.


No comments:

Post a Comment