Saturday, October 21, 2006

Spurs in History - 21st October

Oyvind Leonardsen
21st October, 2000
Spurs 3 Derby County 1 (Premiership)
Scorers: Leonhardsen (2), Carr

Going into this game with only one point from the previous four games, Spurs were looking for improvement against a Derby team which was struggling at the bottom of the Premiership without a win to their name.

Spurs started brightly and scored within four minutes through Oyvind Leonhardsen. However, after putting Derby under further pressure, they failed to score and Derby equalised six minutes before half-time.

Stephen Carr regained the lead for Spurs scoring on the stroke of half-time with a low shot from 30 yards.

A second goal from Leonhardsen after three minutes of the second half gave Spurs a comfortable victory.  Leonhardsen’s day ended disappointingly with an injury that was to keep him out for the next two months.

Pressure was mounting on George Graham with the fans showing their dissatisfaction at the style of play.

Sullivan, Carr, Thatcher, Vega, Perry, Anderton (Dominguez), Sherwood, Clemence, Leonhardsen (Davies), Ferdinand, Rebrov (Korsten).

21st October, 1981
Dundalk 1 Spurs 1 (European Cup Winners' Cup 2nd Round 1st Leg)
Scorer: Crooks

Having overcome Ajax in the 1st Round with an aggregate score of 6-1 from victories in both games, Spurs must have been expecting a comfortable journey into the next round when drawn against the part-time players of Dundalk in the Republic of Ireland.

However, Spurs were in for a shock and were relieved to get away with a draw thanks to Garth Crooks goal. This was a full strength team with only Ricky Villa missing from the side that beat Manchester City in the FA Cup Final Replay at Wembley.

21st October, 1893
Spurs 0 Old St. Mark's 0 (London Senior Cup 1st Round)

October, 1893 – ‘Ernie Payne’s Boots’
Even in their non-League days Spurs ran into difficulties with officialdom.  Founded in 1882, Spurs’ early football was a mix of friendly games and Cup competitions under their amateur status.  Eleven years after their formation on this day in 1893, Spurs drew 0 - 0 in a 1st Round London Senior Cup tie against Old St Marks.  For that game, a new name, ‘Burton’, appeared on the team sheet, to play on the left wing for Spurs.  This was in fact, Ernie Payne who was on Fulham’s books but being unable to get into their team, he accepted an invitation to play for Spurs. However, when he arrived at Tottenham he had no kit.  Spurs provided him with shirt, shorts and socks but were unable to find boots to fit him.  They gave him a loan of ten shillings (50p) to buy a pair of boots on the understanding that they would belong to Spurs.  However, when Fulham heard about this they accused Spurs of ‘poaching’ their player and ‘professionalism’.  Spurs were immediately called before the London Football Association to answer these charges.

The charge of poaching was dismissed but the charge of inducing a player and professionalism was upheld.  The penalty imposed on Spurs was harsh – their ground at Northumberland Park was closed for two weeks, Spurs were suspended for a similar period and Ernie Payne was suspended for a week even though he had repaid the money to Spurs.  An appeal was lodged but it was unsuccessful, the London F.A. being strongly opposed to anything suggesting of professionalism, a view that was holding back the development of football in London.

This matter became known as the ‘Ernie Payne Boots Affair’ and while Payne continued to play for Spurs, he is remembered for the longer term consequence of the matter in that Spurs, frustrated by the views held by the London FA, decided to turn professional.  The club had received tremendous public support over the matter with the general view being that the London FA had been high-handed and had treated Spurs very severely.  At a meeting in December, 1895, the decision was taken that Spurs would turn professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment