Saturday, March 11, 2006

11th March - Spurs in History

Teddy Sheringham who scored the equaliser
and set up Klinsmann for the winner

11th March, 1995
Liverpool 1 Spurs 2 FA Cup 6th Round

Having come back from two goals down at Southampton in the previous round, Spurs were rewarded with a trip to Anfield. Liverpool took the lead through Robbie Fowler after 38 minutes but Teddy Sheringham equalised on the stroke of half-time. Spurs had the better of the second half but it looked as if the game was going to need a replay. However, with two minutes left, Sheringham released Klinsmann in the Liverpool area and as the goalkeeper closed him down, Klinsmann flicked the ball over him and into the net.

An amazing, incredible win which had the 7000 Spurs fand celebrating as they returned home.

The Liverpool fans gave Spurs a generous and well-deserved standing ovation at the end.

Would this be Spurs' year to win the FA Cup? A semi-final tie against Everton at Elland Road awaited them.

11th March, 2001

Another exhilerating Cup win occurred on this day in 2001. George Graham's team were coming together in the FA Cup games and there was optimism that this could be Spurs' year, especially as it ended in '1'.

Orient, Charlton and Stockport had been overcome in previous rounds and now West Ham awaited at Upton Park in the 6th Round.

West Ham 2 Spurs 3.

In a game that both teams wanted to win, no quarter was given. Goals from Rebrov(2) and Doherty piut Spurs into a 3-1 lead but West Ham came back again to score and put Spurs under pressure to the final whistle. Rebrov had his moment in the spotlight for Spurs but as they awaited the sem-final game against Arsenal at Old Trafford, there were to be big changes at White Hart Lane.

Sir Alan Sugar had sold his controlling share to ENIC and with many supporters unhappy with manager George Graham because of his Arsenal connections and because of his style of play (4 scoreless League draws in January/February) they took the opportunity to remove him. By the following Saturday, Graham was gone and David Pleat would take temporary charge until Glenn Hoddle could return from Southampton.

The timing of Graham's departure was unfortunate from the Cup run - he had got the team playing well and probably only he could have masterminded a win against the club's North London neighbours and greatest rivals, Arsenal. As it was, Glenn Hoddle came in but the team played poorly and although Doherty game the lead, they were dependent on goalkeeper, Neil Sullivan, to keep the score down to 1-2. So the Cup dream came to an end for another season.


No comments:

Post a Comment