Saturday, April 08, 2006

9th - 12th April - Spurs in History

Off to Venice tomorrow for 30th Wedding anniversary. So here's 4 days for 1, to keep you going until Thursday. See you then. Be good!

9th April, 1995 What a Disappointment.

It was going to be the FA Cup Final everyone wanted - Spurs v Man United, but nobody told Everton.After beating Liverpool at Anfield with the Sheringham/Klinsmann show, Spurs were expected to overcome the other Merseyside team. Everton had other ideas.

Everton 4 Spurs 1

Played at Elland Road, this could be described as the day that we lost a semi-final and the day that we lost Jurgen Klinsmann. The result was a shattering blow to the fans and the club. Having progressed to this stage with memorable victories and performances the team did not perform on the day. The team was hit by injuries and went two goals behind. Klinsmann scored from a penalty but Everton scored two late goals to further embarrass Spurs.

Spurs adventure in the Cup from which they had originally been banned was over but the further ramification was that Klinsmann later announced that he would be leaving at the end of the season. He had brought vitality to the club but with the team not being able to offer him European football the following season he decided to return to Germany. This was an even greater blow to the Club and one that they have been striving to recover from since that fateful day.

10th April, 1974

FC Lokomotiv Leipzip 1 Spurs 2 Uefa Cup (SF) 1st Leg

Spurs set out to attack the East German and took them by surprise. Jimmy Neighbour replaced the injured Chris McGrath and Spurs took the lead after 15 minutes through Martin Peters. Ten minutes Ralph Coated added a second. Chivers then headed against the post but it was not until the second half tjhat the home team scored.

Spurs held on and took a goal lead into the home leg.

11th April, 1981

Spurs 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 FA Cup (SF) at Hillsborough

A late controversial penalty almost deprived Spurs of a Wembley return. Steve Archibald scored after four minutes but Wolves equalised a minute later. Spurs regained the lead before half-time when Glenn Hoddle stroked a free kick into the top corner of the Wolves goal. With time running out Wolves were desperate. Hoddle won the ball in a tackle in the penalty area, Hibbitt fell to the ground and referee Clive Thomas awarded a penalty. Wolves scored the controversial penalty - the game went to extra time without any more goals.

So it was off to Highbury for the replay.

12th April, 1967

Spurs 6 Birmingham City 0 FA Cup 6th Round Replay.

Having left St.Andrews with a scoreless draw, the previous Saturday, Spurs made sure in the replay. Terry Venables scored twice early on and alan Gilzean headed a third before half-time. Spurs kept up the pressure with Jimmy Greaves scoring twice and Frank Saul adding one.

Nottingham Forest awaited in the Semi-final.


No comments:

Post a Comment